Next question, what do I reach for it for??? Well, it’s antibacterial, anti-fungal, antiseptic, antiviral, anti-parasitic and even anti-inflammatory. Aren’t those all the ANTI words you want to hear right now as the world deals with another virus we have just met? It’s too bad you can’t just roll in it and never get sick with that list of proven medical properties! Plus it’s a PLANT. With a name you can pronounce. That doesn’t end phyte or minium or something equally as hard to pronounce as it is to understand. Teatreeinium sounds like a chemical I don’t want it my body! LOL
Here is the first wiki definition when searched: Tea Tree (also known as melaleuca oil, is an essential oil that comes from steaming the leaves of the Australian tea tree. When used topically, tea tree oil is believed to be antibacterial. Tea tree oil is commonly used to treat acne, athlete’s foot, lice, nail fungus and insect bites.
Personally, I make my own mouthwash with it, I apply it directly to any canker or cold sores for instant healing effects. It goes on every scrape and every paper cut. It has been used on a ingrown toenail to fight off infection in my house. It came with us to Mexico and good thing! I fell and managed to scrape myself up a bit but using tea tree helped keep it clean, bacteria free and start the healing process without concern. It takes the sting out of pesky mosquito bites. So why don’t we all use it??
Is it dangerous? It certainly can be. There is an article out there on the interwebs about a lady in the United States (I believe) who killed her budgie using tea tree oil on it. First of all…WTF??? Who would think a tiny little budgie has the same internal systems as humans to process this? The lady applied tea tree oil directly to the birds beak and yes, it died. A budgie CANNOT process things any where near the same as a human can. I would never think to apply anything I use on myself to a bird. Tons of people ask if I use tea tree around my cat and could it harm her? I use it. I don’t use it and then pet her. I don’t leave it open where she could get into it or spill it. It would harm her if she ingested it absolutely. But I use it with caution. I wash my hands. I will not diffuse it for her well being…plus it smells awful like that!!! I said…it’s like Buckley’s!! It tastes and smells terrible!!! But it works.
So again I ask….why aren’t we all using it??